Saturday, April 5, 2008

The Night Before...


...and already there has been some unexpected happenings. I received a call from my friend Andrea a few days ago. Her husband, Matthias had to undergo emergency heart surgery. He had bronchitis that went untreated, and the bacteria traveled into the artery in his heart and brain. Luckily, he pulled through the surgery, and is in ICU recovering. But he was extremely critical, and it will be a long road ahead--a total shift of lifestyle and priorities. It is one of those times when we are reminded of all the parts of our life we take for granted--our physical body in all its glory. Those who love and live with us. The fragility of life gives us more reason to inhale every moment and rejoice in the connections we've created. Connections of the past and those to be made in the future.

So, my plans have changed. I will travel to Madrid as scheduled, and experience the city solo--on my own. Visiting Toledo, a smaller city to the south, by train will also add to the adventure! More time to reflect. A push of my comfort zone. More time to open up to humanity.

On Friday, I will fly to Frankfurt, Germany, where Andrea will pick me up. We will explore Wiesbaden, where she lives. She hopes to take me all around to friends and to the surrounding areas. Berlin may be possible, as well. This should be such a fantastic, yet unexpected, visit. On Monday, if Matthias is doing well, Andrea will return to Madrid with me and we will enjoy a night of flamenco and wine! I look forward to sharing Madrid with a good friend. Wednesday will be my flight home. I'm sure it all will speed by! And the beauty of the Northern Coast of Spain will wait for me, I'm sure...

I've already begun...Encuentro de Cuentos

Lori

4 comments:

Unknown said...

HI LORI, I HOPE YOUR FLIGHT WAS GOOD. LET ME KNOW THAT YOU MADE IT THERE OK. HAVE LOTS OF FUN!
Uncle Steve

MarPerez said...

Hi, Lori,

Have a safe flight! And I'm sorry to hear about your friend's husband. I hope he recuperates well.

Mar

Yvonne said...

Hi Lolo....glad you made it safely. (Dan told Cindy and Cindy told us) Thinking about you and I have 3 stars and 1 wish for you! 1) you are couragous 2) you are speaking spanish yea 3) some great writing material and one wish...1) I wish I was there with you.

Pals,
Yvonne

Ashlyn said...

Hi Lori!

I hope your having an awesome trip-since I know your already there in Spain-or at least I think so!;) Mrs. Noffal gave me your blog website so I can read about your trip! I think that is so cool your going to Germany(I REALLY want to visit there!) Will u send me a postcard from there? Have fun! I'll miss u on Wed. but you left us with a great substitute!:) Bye-or Adios! Tschuess!
-Ashley:D